Lugazi is a town in the Buikwe District of the Central Region of Uganda. The town is also called “Kawolo”, and the two names are interchangeably used by the local inhabitants.
The average elevation of the Lugazi is about 1,204 metres (3,950 ft).
The coordinates of Lugazi are 0°22’08.0″N, 32°56’25.0″E (Latitude:0.368889; Longitude:32.940278).
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town or close to its boundaries:
- Offices of Lugazi Town Council
- headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lugazi
- Lugazi central market
- headquarters of the Mehta Group in Uganda
- University of Military Science and Technology, which is owned and administered by the Uganda People’s Defence Force
- Mount Saint Mary’s College Namagunga, located 5.5 kilometres (3.4 mi), by road, west of downtown Lugazi in Mukono District
- Kawolo Hospital, a 200-bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Lugazi Golf Course, which is located on the grounds of SCUL
- branch of the National Social Security Fund (Uganda)
- Kampala-Jinja Highway, passing through the center of town in an east/west configuration
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Lugazi at 27,979. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 34,500. In 2011, UBOS estimated the population at 35,500.
In 2014, the national census put the population at 114,163.